Organization…it’s a journey!

I had grand plans of getting lots of things organized this weekend…but the only real thing I got organized was my dresser drawers. I am counting that as an accomplishment in itself. I dreaded putting laundry away. Each drawer was crammed full and putting anything away was challenge. Not to mention I really didn’t know what was in the bottom of those drawers. Needless to say that stuff wasn’t needed.here is what the drawers looked like before I started… 

 
Each drawer did have a category…sport socks, dark socks, sweaters, workout clothes, bathing suits and misc…

Of course the whole bedroom was a wreck during my purging process. I also had to shoo off DH several times, I didn’t need his 2 cents on all my stuff…ha!  I did have moral support from my girl, Krimley, and her elephant…

  
I think I have a tank top fetish 😳 how many does a girl need??

Here is the final product. Everything matched/folded neatly and I do have a few drawers with room to spare! I had a trash bag full of junk and lots of stuff to take to the consignment shop!

  
I probably could have purged more but like I said it’s a journey…next stop hall closet! Hope I can keep my motivation! 

It’s a New Year and a New Life for an Old Chair!

Here’s another post I submitted to everythinghomemagazine.com!

I found this old chair on a local FB garage sale site and I knew I could make it look good again!

  
I loved the detail it had, but it was in bad need of a refresh! I decided to re-do it and give it to my daughter for Chistmas. I knew exactly what I was going to recover it with! She had made a comment several times how much she liked this Waverly Ikat fabric.

  
I was lucky enough to find a couple remnants at Hobby Lobby that was more than enough to makeover this chair! I had my husband help me with tightening all the screws and gluing a couple spots to make sure it would be sturdy for her. The next step was to remove the seat and to paint the frame.

  
 I decided I wanted it to be black, I used Rustoluem 2X Satin Canyon Black.

  
After wiping down the whole chair to make sure there was no dust I gave it two coats to make sure I got good coverage.

  
After the paint was dry I decided to distress it in the spots where it would have shown wear if this was the original finish.

   
While the paint was drying I went back inside to re-upholster the seat cushion. Usually I would use the old fabric as a guide for cutting the new cover but the old cover was vinyl and it was pretty brittle. The old cushion had seen its better days too, so it all went right to the trash. I used the wooden seat bottom as a pattern to cut new foam. I used an old mattress pad we had, that we no longer used. (**hint** mattress pads are an inexpensive way to get large pieces of foam and a lot cheaper than foam from the fabric store) I decided to use a double layer of foam to make the seat nice and cushy.

  
Then I measured out batting wide enough to wrap the foam and secure to the seat bottom.

  
Next I began stapling the batting to the under side of the seat working opposite sides back and forth and pulling the batting tight and even, leaving a few inches from each corner free to work the corner.

  
Once all four sides were secured, I started to work the corners. I usually fold mine like wrapping a present. There are many ways to do this but just work it until it looks nice and lays neatly, then staple.

  
After all the corners were finished I trimmed off the excess fabric.

  
After the batting was trimmed I repeated the above steps with the fabric covering. My fabric had a large pattern so I made sure it was centered nicely before I cut out the piece I was using.

  
Here is the under side once the fabric was secure and trimmed.

  

This is the top side before attaching it to the chair.

 
Now all that was left to do was to attach it back to the frame of the chair.
I also had enough fabric to make a little pillow to match.
I think it turned out so cute and she loved it! 😍  

 

I hope this gives you inspiration to upcycle an old ‘ugly’ piece to make it new, fresh and to give it a new life! Make sure to check out my blog at Karensays.net 
                                                      Happy New Year! 🎉

Happy New Year tradition…cabbage rolls!

In keeping with the superstition of eating cabbage on New Years Day we make cabbage rolls. We usually double our recipe so we have extra to put in the freezer for later! Below is the recipe I’ve adapted from one I found on southernfood.about.com

  
Cabbage Rolls

  • 12-15 Cabbage Leaves

Filling:

  • 1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
  • 3/4 cooked brown rice
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:

  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes 
  • 3 tablespoons sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water 
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water

Remove cabbage heart and put in microwave dish with a little water and cover. Cook on high for 10-13 minutes until leaves are pliable. 

For filling, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, and salt, pepper, and milk. Mix well. Place a portion into the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around filling, burrito style Place seam side down in a baking dish.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water; pour over the cabbage rolls.

Cover and bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 1 hour. Remove rolls with slotted spoon. Place pan juices in a saucepan over medium heat; stir cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce; bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Serve the cabbage rolls with the sauce.

***I usually always add garlic powder to the meat mixture and a little hot sauce to the sauce.